2013 Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber Legislative Agenda Released
Gaithersburg /Germantown, MD (January 3, 2013) – The Gaithersburg-GermantownChamber of Commerce (GGCC) will continue its tradition of taking an active role in advocatingand responding to issues of importance to the economic health of our community to create amore business friendly environment for Montgomery County and the State of Maryland.
In 2013, GGCC will continue to support efforts that encourage new business development, aswell as the retention and growth of existing businesses. Our economic development effortshinge upon addressing the transportation infrastructure needs within the County. To that end,our key priorities are as follows:
- Road Priority – Full Watkins Mill Interchange
- Transit Priority – Corridor Cities Transitway
- Support an increase in the gas tax to fund transportation priorities
- Support a mandate to prohibit the transfer of funds from the State Transportation TrustFund to the State General Fund
ECONOMIC AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Job Growth in Gaithersburg, Germantown, and surrounding jurisdictions – The GGCCwill support implementation of both the Germantown Master Plan and the Great SenecaScience Corridor Master Plan. This includes supporting necessary local transportationand school CIP improvements.
- Workforce Development – The GGCC will support efforts to maintain and enhance thepipeline of highly trained, skilled workers in Montgomery County by supporting K-12education and post-secondary education facilities in the County.
- Montgomery College
--------------Montgomery College’s Expansion. The GGCC will continue to support the Collegein its’ efforts to secure construction funding for campus facilities including the designand ultimate construction of the Germantown Applied Sciences Building Renovationand Addition , completion funds for the Bioscience Education Center, as well as theinfrastructure funding for the Life Sciences Park.
--------------Support Montgomery College’s Operating Budget. The GGCC supports the long-term maintenance of the Cade funding formula for community colleges in Maryland.
--------------Support college’s efforts in creating workforce development programs specifically forLifesciences and Cybersecurity companies.
- Shady Grove Metro Master Plan Development - To realize the full vision for a transit-oriented mixed residential/commercial hub, the GGCC supports relocation of Countyservices from the Shady Grove metro area.
- Business Climate – The GGCC will advocate for a business friendly environment in theCity, County and State. We will actively advocate for business friendly legislation andactively oppose anti-business legislation.
- Zoning – The GGCC will monitor the zoning ordinance rewrite process and respond tothe draft sections as they are released for public review.
- Incentives – The GGCC supports the continuation of the City of Gaithersburg’s Tool BoxIncentive program, as well as other State and County incentive programs and wouldencourage increased incentives in the Upcounty.
- The GGCC will advocate for improved infrastructureto service current needs and to promote further economic growth in our area. The GGCCsupports the following:
- The Full Watkins Mill Interchange
- The Corridor Cities Transitway (CCT)
- I-270 Capacity Expansion. GGCC supports additional capacity using HOT lanes.
- Support and explore alternative funding sources for transportation projects in our region.
- Continue to monitor the progress of M-83.
- Address the inter-jurisdictional movement in the region, including Frederick County andVirginia.
- MARC Commuter Service, as well as adequate parking facilities for MARC
- Support County-wide Rapid-Transit system assuming that funding is not diverted fromexisting transportation priorities.
- In support of one of the County’s growing industries, the GGCC will support initiativesaimed at significantly accelerating adoption of internet broadband access by customers,businesses, schools, and government enterprises.
The GGCC supports a fiscally responsible State operating budget thatcreates a favorable business climate in Maryland. The GGCC will advocate against MandatoryCombined Reporting, as well as the expansion of sales tax on business and professionalservice.
The GGCC supports an increase in the gas tax to help fund the Transportation Trust Fund. TheGGCC also recommends that the gas tax be indexed to inflation based on the ConstructionCost Index (CCI) while mandating that the Transportation Trust Fund be dedicated solely totransportation funding.
- Access – Support the construction and operation of the area health care providersincluding the Germantown Holy Cross Hospital and the expansion of the Shady GroveAdventist Hospital.
- Reform – The GGCC will monitor the implementation and review of The Health ReformAct and accompanying Reconciliation Act to educate our members on the financialimplications of this legislation on the state, businesses, healthcare providers andphysicians.
The GGCC is active in providing business-to-business networking opportunities throughout theyear: a collective voice in local, regional, and state legislative affairs, professional developmentopportunities and other services that enhance the business environment.
The GGCC is located at 910 Clopper Road, Suite 205N, Gaithersburg, MD. To learn more aboutthe GGCC visit us at www.ggchamber.org.
Find us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gaithersburg-Germantown-Chamber-of-Commerce/64339954570.