As part of Gaithersburg's "National CHARACTER COUNTS! Week" celebration, elementary and middle school students participated in an “Adult Heroes in OUR Community” essay contest.
Participants wrote about someone who has had a positive, personal influence on their lives related to one or more of the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, citizenship, caring and fairness. Of the 135 entries, five winners — all Gaithersburg 5th graders — were selected.
Each day this week, Gaithersburg Patch will share a winning essay from the city's “Adult Heroes in OUR Community” essay contest.
Friday's winner is Mirelys Rosales, of Washington Grove Elementary School. Mirelys selected her mom, Mirian Morales, as her hero. In an essay titled, "My Mom," she wrote:
My mom is amazing. She’s taken care of me since I was a baby. My real dad left our family, but stays in contact. So my mom was left to raise four children… That is how brave she is. She is someone who stands up for what or who she believes in. She is a hero. She is my mom.
My mom’s name is Mirian Morales. She is my hero because of her kind loving words when I’m hurt. The way she looks at me and says, “It’s okay.” She’strustworthy by never lying, deceiving, cheating, or stealing. Not a day goes by without her saying, “How was your day?” If I come home crying she’d say, “Don’t worry Mirelys you’ll make it through.” Then she’d stare into my eyes and start to smile knowing that every time that happens I would get stronger and the bullies would stop and they did. She’s everything a girl could ask for. She’s a good citizen that never gives up. She deserves to win, she deserves more than what she has, she deserves to be happy. Sometimes she’d lay awake thinking what did I do for my husband to leave? My mom is a real hero. She believes in god. She’s brave, kind, and understanding. I know my mom deserves to win. She has worked so hard to take care of four kids and I hope you see through my eyes and know she is a … HERO.
- Gaithersburg To Celebrate CHARACTER COUNTS! Week (Oct. 16, 2012)
- Gaithersburg Announces CHARACTER COUNTS! Essay, Poster Contest Winners (Oct. 17, 2012)
- CC! Week: "Adult Heroes in OUR Community" Essay Contest Winners (Pt. 1) (Oct. 22, 2012)
- CC! Week: "Adult Heroes in OUR Community" Essay Contest Winners (Pt. 2) (Oct. 23, 2012)
- PHOTOS: “CHARACTER COUNTS! In Our World” Poster Contest Winners (Oct. 24, 2012)
- CC! Week: "Adult Heroes in OUR Community" Essay Contest Winners (Pt. 3) (Oct. 25, 2012)
- CC! Week: "Adult Heroes in OUR Community" Essay Contest Winners (Pt. 4) (Oct. 26, 2012)