Grab & Go Kids Planner
What to do with the kids this weekend.
The warm weather has arrived, and while you might want to start working on your tan, Montgomery County health officials are "encouraging residents to find places where they can stay cool, and to take precautions to avoid heat-related illnesses.”
The County suggests staying indoors, whenever possible; drinking lots of water; when outdoors, wearing proper protection from the sun and never leaving pets or children in the car unattended or with the windows up”.
The Hot Weather Assistance Fan Program
The County’s 311 website says: “Elderly and/or disabled customers may be eligible to receive a fan from HHS' Aging and Disability Resource Unit. If there is a medical emergency, please dial 9-1-1. If it is not an emergency, but an urgent situation, please call 240-777-3000 for assistance. Montgomery County web site usually posts opening cooling centers (see County web site below). During regular business hours, you may also consider going to libraries, community centers, malls or other air conditioned locations open to the public.”
With that said, here are our best picks for a weekend of family fun in and around Gaithersburg….
- Wildflower Walk, Friday, June 10: Enjoy the scenic beauty of Seneca Creek State Park nature trails. Discover the parks plants, see wildflowers, and learn more about the natural environment. To participate in this event, please register with the park office. Free.
- Movie Night Under the Stars, Friday, June 10: The SVHS PTSA is sponsoring a 'Movie Night Under the Stars' at Seneca Valley High School featuring "Monsters, Inc" rated PG. Gates will open at 7pm and Admission is FREE!!
- Night-Life Hayride at Seneca Creek State Park, Friday, June 10: Do you ever wonder what Seneca Creek State Park is like at night? Join park officials for a hayride to see the many nocturnal animals of the park. To participate in this event please register with the park office or call 301-924-2127. $2pp.
- Fridays at the Farm: Family Crab & Barbeque Feast, Friday, June 10: Fun for the entire family: horseshoes, miniature golf & playground. Buffet features: steamed spiced #1 crabs, steamed spiced shrimp, Smokey Glen Farm famous BBQ chicken & spare ribs. Price: $39.95 pp (ages 16 & older) /$27.95 (ages 13-15) / $16.95 (ages 10-12) / $9.95 (ages 6-9) / Free (ages 5 & under)
- On Stage Concert Series, Friday, June 10: On Stage performance: RAGS, blues/rock/country/soul. On Stage concerts are held at the Gaithersburg Concert Pavilion starting at 7:00pm.
- Carnival Day & Family FunWalk, Saturday, June 11: magic show, clown, unicyclist/juggler, games and prizes, sno-cones, lemonade stand (water, ice tea) served in Shoppes of Bethesda stadium cups with silly straws, Shoppes of Bethesda Coupon to spend in our stores to buy Dad a Father’s Day Gift given to the Families who participate in the walk….And so much more
- Gaithersburg Miniature Golf, Saturday, June 11 & Sunday, June 12: Round up the family and “Come Play a Round” on Gaithersburg’s beautifully landscaped miniature golf course, located at Bohrer Park at Summit Hall Farm, 510 South Frederick Avenue next to Gaithersburg High School.
- Splash Playground & Mini Golf, Saturday, June 11 and daily until August 28: Opening this Saturday is Splash Playground at the South Germantown Recreational Park. Open from 10am to 7pm, come and cool off in the water maze or waterfall and much more. Prices vary: It is $7.50 for a splash and golf combo (one round of golf, all day at the splash playground).
- Gaithersburg Water Park, Friday, June 10, Saturday, June 11 & Sunday, June 12: The water park opens at Noon. Enjoy lots of cool summer fun at the Gaithersburg Water Park. Admission is $5.75 for City of Gaithersburg residents and $7.25 for nonresidents on weekends and holidays.
- "Tour dem Parks, Hon!", Sunday, June 12: Cycle tour through Baltimore's lovely parks and neighborhoods in the ninth annual "Tour dem Parks, Hon!" bike ride to raise funds for the city's parks. Barbecue with live jazz after-party. Price: $40 adults / $20 kids 16 and under
- Butterfly Walk, Sunday, June 12: Enjoy a leisurely stroll along one of the Seneca Creek State Parks scenic nature trails. Discover the butterflies. Free.
- Memories On The Water Contest, Daily through June 30: Submit a short video of your family enjoying a memorable moment on the water and you could have a chance to win weekly boating & fishing give-a-ways, including an all-expense paid trip for four to Orlando, Yellowstone Park or New Orleans. For more info on the contest TakeMeFishing contest - Memories on the Water-, visit TakeMeFishing.org.