Make Off With Madoff's Loot
A New Year's Day auction of disgraced investor Bernie Madoff's stuff.
Start the new year off with a bid, if you can afford it.
You can have a chance at buying jewelry, art, and even a guitar signed by Bruce Springsteen and Bono, all courtesy of disgraced investor Bernie Madoff, when his belongings go up for auction on New Years Day at the Gaithersburg Marriott in the Washingtonian Center, the Examiner reports.
The proceeds will go to help repay the thousands of victims of his $65 billion Ponzi scheme. Madoff is serving a 150-year prison sentence.
Among the items up for bid:
- a more than 52-carat diamond/18-carat gold necklace, estimated value $249,500
- a rare 18 carat diamond Piaget watch
- a 10 carat loose diamond, and assorted other ruby, sapphire, and emerald baubles
- works by Matisse, Cezanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Dali, other 19th and 20th century artists
- Persian and other fine rugs...
The items will be on display starting at 1pm and bidding begins at 2pm.