Help MCHS keep the momentum going strong for its participation in the ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge! MCHS’s Home Run Adoption Challenge will allow patrons to adopt a cat or dog for a fee they choose themselves. Come meet our line-up on the Cat Team and Dog Team, and take home one of our All-Stars as your newest family member.
WHEN: Shelter hours will be extended from noon to 7 p.m. on Saturday.
WHERE: Montgomery County Humane Society; 14645 Rothgeb Drive, in Rockville.
WHO: Prospective dog and cat adopters, and the Montgomery County Humane Society, with assistance from Girl Scout Troop 2228.
COST: Whatever fee adopters wish to pay, plus the county license fee required for Montgomery County residents.
WHY: Pet lovers who adopt a dog or cat during September or October will not only give a loving home to a homeless pet, they will ultimately help MCHS save more lives. MCHS is one of 50 shelters around the country—and the only one in the DC region—that made it through the online qualifying heat earlier this year to compete in the 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge. The nationwide competition runs August, September and October and challenges the 50 qualifying animal shelters and their communities to get a much larger number of animals adopted or returned to their owners than last year. The goal is for each competing shelter to find homes for at least 300 more cats and dogs than during the same period in 2011.
WHAT TO BRING: Prospective adopters should come prepared. Here’s a list of what to bring with you and what to expect:
- A government-issued ID and proof of address if your current address is not on your ID.
- If you rent your home, bring proof of your landlord’s approval to have a pet.
- Collars, leashes, and cat carriers will be available for purchase, or you may bring your own if you like.
- Adopters will be asked to name their own adoption fee. In addition, Montgomery County residents are required to purchase a County license fee, which must be paid by check or money order.
- We encourage you to bring all family members to choose your new pet.
- You will fill out an adoption application and meet with staff to help ensure a good match.
REGULAR ADOPTION FEES:
- Dogs/puppies: $175.
- Cats/kittens: $90.
Dog and cat adoption fees include:
- Applicable vaccinations (rabies vaccine not always given).
- FeLV/FIV test for cats.
- Heartworm/Lyme disease test for dogs.
- Microchip and registration.
- Flea treatment.
When you adopt an animal from the Montgomery County Humane Society, not only are you providing your new pet with a forever home, your adoption fee helps us care for many other animals in need. In fact, between microchips, vaccinations, preventive care and tests, spay/neuter surgeries and feeding, care for a healthy animal in our shelter costs $250 on average. As an open admission shelter, we accept all animals, including a number with medical isues that can quickly double (or more) that amount.
MORE INFO: http://www.mchumane.org/100KChallenge2.shtml