Labor Day Weekend! If you’re not familiar with the history of Labor Day, you may wonder what it's all about. Some see it as a way to celebrate the end of summer. Sports-minded individuals say it marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons. Yet this day is actually dedicated to most of you reading this – you, the American worker, and your achievements.
This weekend is sweet and bittersweet for me. The sweet: no work on Monday; the bittersweet: Labor Day marks the end of summer. Many have headed to the beach, most will have a BBQ, thousands will soak up the last rays of the summer sun, others will spend the day at the pool and so much more. If you are like me, I am excited to break out my cookbook and prepare some tasty Labor Day dishes.
Here are our top “Patch” Pick Labor Day recipes and were you can get the ingredients…..
Killer Bacon-Cheese Dogs
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce, or amount to taste
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat. Lightly oil grate, and set 4 inches from the heat.
- 2. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Place hot dogs on grill; cook until browned, 5 to 8 minutes, turning once, or until done to suit your taste. Lightly grill hot dog buns.
- 4. To assemble sandwiches, place a slice of cheese and bacon on each roll. Add a hot dog, top each with 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce, or desired amount, and red onion.
: 229 Kentlands Boulevard: The Giant branch, located in the Kentlands area of Gaithersburg, is a full-service grocery store. It includes a bakery, butcher, pharmacy, florist, in-store chef, deli, Western Union and RedBox DVD rental kiosk.
Labor Day Deal: Ball Bark Beef Franks – Buy One, Get One Free & Alpine Swiss Cheese is on sale for $7.99/lb in the deli.
Summer Corn Salad
- 6 ears corn, husked and cleaned
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook corn in boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Drain, cool, and cut kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss together the corn, tomatoes, onion, basil, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
: 602 Quince Orchard Road: This location, in Quince Orchard Plaza, features a deli, bakery, butcher, florist and an excellent beer and wine selection.
Labor Day Deal: Red Ripe Cluster Tomatoes are $1.48/lb and Sweetie Sweets Yellow Onions are $.98/lb.
Marinated Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1. In a medium bowl, mix the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and ground black pepper. Place meat in a shallow glass dish. Pour marinade over the steak, turning meat to coat thoroughly. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- 2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- 3. Oil the grill grate. Place steaks on the grill, and discard the marinade. Grill meat for 5 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
: 12251 Darnestown Road: This location is open late and includes a bakery, deli, floral, meat, pharmacy, produce and seafood.
Labor Day Deal: Safeway carries “Ranchers Reserve” products. The Flank Steak is $8.99/lb this weekend.
Southern Peach Cobbler
- 8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- 2. In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.
- 4. Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.
: 833 Russell Avenue: Bloom offers top-of-the-line gourmet foods and everyday grocery needs.
Labor Day Deal: Watermelons are $4.99 each at Bloom this weekend.
Cool Watermelon Slushes
- 6 ice cubes
- 2 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1. Place the ice cubes into a blender. Cover, and pulse until crushed. Add the watermelon and blend for about 1 minute, until slushy. Add the honey, and blend for about 10 seconds.
- Note: Calories: 28 | Total Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg
: 22200 Davis Mill Road: Butler's Orchard offers an array of local products, including: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, white and yellow peaches, plums, apples, onions, potatoes, sweet corn, sugar pears, tomatoes, summer squash and watermelons.
Labor Day Deal: SPECIAL ON PEACHES - White and Yellow Freestone Peaches on special this Sunday & Monday $25 for 1/2 bushel - great time to can, freeze and enjoy lots of fresh peaches.
If you are local today, join the City of Gaithersburg for the . Did you know the first Labor Day parade in New York City was held in September 1982?