Gaithersburg crime is on the rise.
According to data released Friday by city police, Gaithersburg crime is up 10.7 percent for the first quarter of 2012 in comparison to that of 2011.
Part I crimes—including homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and auto theft—showed a 10.2 percent total increase (391 to 431).
Police released the following details regarding Part I crimes:
- Homicide—No change—from 0 to 0
- Rape—50 percent decrease—from 4 to 2
- Robbery—109.1 percent increase—from 11 to 23
- Aggravated Assault—54.5 percent increase—from 11 to 17
- Larceny—5.2 percent increase—from 310 to 326
- Auto Theft—52.9 percent decrease—from 17 to 8
Part II crimes—which include offenses such as minor assaults, arson, forgery-counterfeiting, bad checks, embezzlement, stolen property, vandalism, weapons offenses, prostitution, sex offenses, controlled dangerous substance (CDS) violations, gambling, family offenses, juvenile offenses, liquor law violations, disorderly conduct, suicide, and non-traffic offenses—increased by 10.9 percent (777 to 862).
Compared to the fourth quarter of 2011, crime in Gaithersburg showed an overall 5 percent decrease (Part I down 5.5 percent, Part II down 4.8 percent).