Following a series of incidents, including two armed robberies and an attempted armed robbery of Gaithersburg businesses, city police are offering tips for business owners, employees and customers to stay safe.
- Ensure adequate exterior lighting.
- Installation of video surveillance cameras that cover both the entrance and exit doors.
- Always secure doors immediately after closing and keep them closed.
- Keep alert at all times, checking for loiterers or people watching your business.
- Greet each customer and make eye contact with them.
- Never restrict the view from either inside or outside your business with signs or window displays.
- Keep a minimal amount of cash on hand and never count money in public view.
- Mark doorways with proper height markings, minimum cash and safe policies.
- Always report suspicious activity to the police by either calling the emergency number, 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number at 301-279-8000.
- You can also contact the Gaithersburg Police Departments, Community Services Officer at 301-258-6168 for a free commercial security survey.
On Nov. 27, officers responded to the CVS located at 546 North Frederick Avenue for a report of an attempted armed robbery. Montgomery County police released a photo of the victim hoping someone can help identify him.
On Dec. 2, and Dec. 5, officers responded to the Subway located at 876 Muddy Branch Road for an armed robbery.