(Update, 6:07 p.m.): All city of Gaithersburg facilities will remain closed on Tuesday, Oct. 30, and the state of emergency continues, according to a city release.
Essential city personnel must report for work.
(Update, 9:33 a.m.): The Activity Center at Bohrer Park in Gaithersburg will be opening as one of Montgomery County's three shelters as of noon Monday.
Other shelters are located at the following locations:
- White Oak Community Recreation Center —1700 April Lane, Silver Spring
- The Mid-County Community Recreation Center — 2004 Queensguard Road, Silver Spring
(Update, 8:38 a.m.): Mayor Sidney A. Katz and Acting City Manager Tony Tomasello have declared a state of emergency for the city of Gaithersburg, effective 6 a.m. Monday.
The state of emergency activates the city's emergency management plan and requires all essential City employees to report to work and remain on-duty until relieved, according to the city. During the state of emergency all City facilities will be closed to the public and non-essential employees should not report to work.
Other closures in Montgomery County include:
- Montgomery County Government: Montgomery County government will be closed Monday, Oct. 29. Essential personnel must report to work.
- Montgomery County Public Schools: Montgomery County Public Schools will be closed on Monday, Oct. 29 and Tuesday, Oct. 30, due to emergency weather conditions. All school and community activities in school buildings are canceled. Administrative offices are closed Monday October 29.
- Montgomery College: College closed Monday, Oct. 29, and Tuesday, Oct. 30, due to Hurricane Sandy. All classes/activities canceled.
- Montgomery County Recreation Department: All rec classes cancelled Oct. 29, and Oct. 30. Pools will hold classes.
- Federal Government / Office of Personnel Management: OPM has determined that due to Hurricane Sandy, the Federal Government will be closed on Monday, Oct. 29, 2012.
(Original Post, 5:40 a.m.): All city of Gaithersburg facilities are closed Monday as Hurricane Sandy rolls into the region.
Per the city:
UPDATE: All City Facilities WILL BE CLOSED on Monday, Oct. 29. Essential personnel must report for work.
Notifications for Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 29 and 30:
- The Joint Work Session scheduled for Monday evening has been cancelled. It will be rescheduled at a later date.
- It is anticipated that the Activity Center at Bohrer Park will be opened on Monday as one of Montgomery County's regional shelters, operated by the American Red Cross. Details will be posted as available.
- All morning, afternoon and evening classes, activities and sports are cancelled.
- The city has cancelled recycling and leaf pick up for Monday and Tuesday. Pick ups for later in the week will be assessed pending weather conditions.