Four students from Gaithersburg and Montgomery Village have earned full-tuition scholarships from the Posse Foundation, a program that awards scholarships to academically talented students typically overlooked by traditional college selection processes.
According to Montgomery County public school officials, the scholarships went to two students from Gaithersburg High School: Mohamed F. Keita, who’s planning to attend University of Rochester; and Kent Martine P. Mok, who’s planning to attend University of Wisconsin-Madison.
There were also two awardees from Watkins Mill High School: Manish Dhungana, who will attend University of Wisconsin-Madison; and Krishna Mudwari, who’s going to Grinnell College.
The four scholars were among 19 MCPS students awarded full tuition to four-year colleges, according to MCPS.
Under the Posse program, 44 colleges and universities offer
full-tuition scholarships to students across the nation to create multicultural
teams—called Posses—on each campus. These student teams receive professional
guidance before and throughout college and provide support to one another. On
campus, these students serve in leadership roles.
The full list of this year’s MCPS recipients:
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
Jherron V. Sutton, attending Grinnell College
James Hubert Blake High School
- Bethany R. Hamson, attending Sewanee: The University of the South
- Victor M. Phimphachanh, attending Grinnell College
Montgomery Blair High School
Minu Tshyeto K. Bidzimou, attending Grinnell College
Gaithersburg High School
- Mohamed F. Keita, attending University of Rochester
- Kent Martine P. Mok, attending University of Wisconsin-Madison
Northwood High School
- James D. Caruso, attending Grinnell College
- Jeffrey E. Miranda, attending Lafayette College
Poolesville High School
Alejandra Torres Diaz, attending University of Wisconsin-Madison
Seneca Valley High School
- Gustave A. Nguenjio Njapon, attending Lafayette College
- Karen O. Somasundaram, attending Bucknell University
- Jessica Wu, attending University of Wisconsin-Madison
Sherwood High School
Summer J. White, attending Grinnell College
Springbrook High School
- Jonathan M. Brown, attending Sewanee: The University of the South
- Tariro A. Kandemiri, attending Sewanee: The University of the South
- Anthony A. Ramos, attending Bucknell University
Watkins Mill High School
- Manish Dhungana, attending University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Krishna Mudwari, attending Grinnell College
Thomas S. Wootton High School
Jackson I. Pierce Felker, attending Bucknell University