Authorities say the death Sunday of University of Maryland student and ice hockey player Michael Mutryn was likely caused by a drug overdose.
Mutryn – from Potomac and a graduate of Churchill High School -- attended the team banquet on Saturday night, then spent the rest of the evening with his teammates.
About 3 p.m. on Easter Sunday, his roommate called 911 to report that Mutryn was unresponsive. Prince George’s County Police officers arrived to find the 23-year-old student dead, reports WJLA TV, with two 9-millimeter handguns, crack cocaine, the drug ecstasy, and hypodermic needles at the scene.
Mutryn lived off-campus in a student apartment building, police said.
"It's shocking when you hear about it, to think it's right here," student Tareq Zietoon told the TV station.
Police believe Mutryn, who described himself online as a nutrition and fitness buff, is the latest victim in a surge of drug overdose deaths happening in the region.
Mutryn’s body has been taken to the medical examiner in Baltimore, where an autopsy will be conducted. It will take about six weeks for toxicology results to come back.
His LinkedIn profile says Mutryn was a junior at Maryland majoring in economics.